Contact Us for a Free Consultation 415-992-7368


  • Overview
  • Requirements
  • Filing Process
  • Common Questions & Answers


The EB-1 category is a category for those individuals that have risen to the top of their profession.  There are three EB-1 categories:

EB-1 (a) Extraordinary Ability

You must be able to demonstrate extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics through sustained national or international acclaim. Your achievements must be recognized in your field through extensive documentation. No offer of employment is required.

EB-1(b) Outstanding Professors and Researchers

You must demonstrate international recognition for your outstanding achievements in a particular academic field. You must have at least 3 years experience in teaching or research in that academic area. You must be entering the United States in order to pursue tenure or tenure track teaching or comparable research position at a university or other institution of higher education.

EB-1(c) Multinational Manager or Executive

You must have been employed outside the United States in the 3 years preceding the petition for at least 1 year by a firm or corporation and you must be seeking to enter the United States to continue service to that firm or organization. Your employment must have been outside the United States in a managerial or executive capacity and with the same employer, an affiliate, or a subsidiary of the employer.


These visas require the expertise of an experienced immigration attorney to help you assess your qualifications and help you prepare extensive documentations required for the petition.  Step one is to assess whether you meet the specified number of criteria outlined for each category.

EB-1(a) – Extraordinary Ability

In order to apply for this category, you must meet 3 out of the 10 listed criteria below:

  • Evidence of receipt of lesser nationally or internationally recognized prizes or awards for excellence
  • Evidence of your membership in associations in the field which demand outstanding achievement of their members
  • Evidence of published material about you in professional or major trade publications or other major media
  • Evidence that you have been asked to judge the work of others, either individually or on a panel
  • Evidence of your original scientific, scholarly, artistic, athletic, or business-related contributions of major significance to the field
  • Evidence of your authorship of scholarly articles in professional or major trade publications or other major media
  • Evidence that your work has been displayed at artistic exhibitions or showcases
  • Evidence of your performance of a leading or critical role in distinguished organizations
  • Evidence that you command a high salary or other significantly high remuneration in relation to others in the field
  • Evidence of your commercial successes in the performing arts

EB-1(b) – Outstanding Professor Or Researcher

In order to apply for this category you must have an offer of employment from a qualified institution and you must meet 2 out of the 6 listed criteria below:

  • Evidence of receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement
  • Evidence of membership in associations that require their members to demonstrate outstanding achievement
  • Evidence of published material in professional publications written by others about the alien's work in the academic field
  • Evidence of participation, either on a panel or individually, as a judge of the work of others in the same or allied academic field
  • Evidence of original scientific or scholarly research contributions in the field
  • Evidence of authorship of scholarly books or articles (in scholarly journals with international circulation) in the field

EB-1(c) – Multinational Manager or Executive

Your petitioning employer must be a U.S. employer. Your employer must have been doing business for at least 1 year, as an affiliate, a subsidiary, or as the same corporation or other legal entity that employed you abroad.

Filing Process

For all of these visas you must file form I-140, Petition for Alien Worker. For EB-1(a) you may petition for yourself and for EB-1(b) and EB-1(c) your employer must file the form on your behalf.

Oasis Law Group can help you preparing for the form I-140 and evaluating all of the supporting documentations for this process. Once the Form I-140 is approved, you will receive a green card. If your children are under the age of 21 years old and unmarried, the petitioner, your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 can be included in petition and receive green cards.

Common Questions & Answers

How Can Oasis Law Group Help You with you EB-1 petition?

The EB-1 petition process can be complex and does require extensive documentations and you are strongly advised to seek the assistance of a qualified immigration attorney.   Let Oasis Lawq Group be your guide.  Here are some of the ways we can help you with your EB-1 petition process. We can:

  • Work with the petitioner to prepare the EB-1 petition applications.
  • Assist the petitioner in preparing all documents needed for the EB-1 petition.
  • Work with the petitioner to evaluating and assessing all supporting documentations and preparing the filing package.

Find more information on various immigration topics discussed in our blog.